View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrycutenezz View Post
I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 11 week old yorkie from a breeder. I took the puppy to the vet and she said the puppy has an overbite. The puppy is registered with AKC. I am wanting to know if I decided to breed this puppy later would it be okay? Or should I just trade it for another puppy without an overbite?
Here is what I am going to say. Yorkies suffer so much from teeth problems - bad bites - early onset dental disease. It is tough and I mean tough to breed out bad dentition.
And while the Yorkie standard does NOT have a DQ for missing teeth or bad bites I firmly believe it should have. In the breed that I breed we have DQ or disqualifications for missing teeth - overshot or undershot bites - no scissor bite etc. A disqualification by two judges means that you as the owner of this dog will Never earn a championship. This dog should not be bred! Serious business. But the standards are owned and changed by the National Breed clubs and until the YTCA gets serious about bite the standard is and will remain the same.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!