View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #570
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Each computer has its own IP that tells its location. It is similar to a mailing address or telephone number.

We started talking about this because someone said their IP changes all of the time and the IP is in different states...highly unlikely but it was just another attempt to try to cover up her identity which at this point is a total waste of her time.

When you connect at a wifi hotspot, your IP will be whatever is assigned to them. When you use a work computer, you will have their IP.

Some IPs do change (I am talking about each computer...not traveling from place to place)....Internet Service Providers sometimes do that. Those are called dynamic IPs. Static IPs are those that remain constant.

You could call your ISP if you really want to know what you have, but honestly it should not affect you at all anyway. The one thing I have seen is on networks such as IRC, whole blocks might be banned because of dynamic IPs because, if a person is a trouble maker, they can just recycle and have a new IP and join.

I can look around and see if this is explained better somewhere on the internet....... I have some basic knowledge of it but not in depth knowledge so I may not be explaining it well.

Thank you Linda. particularly about affecting me one way or the other. I don't have to worry about it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!