View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #558
MarkFromSea
YT 3000 Club Member

Huh, I thought my address was the same today as it was 11ish years ago.. didn't expect to learn I've been bouncing from address to address for years at a page called yorkietalk! LOL All this moving around is making me dizzy!

"What is the Difference Between a Static IP Address and a Dynamic IP Address?
In order to understand its importance and the reason for additional costs, we must first understand the difference between a static IP address (always assigned) and a non-static IP address (called dynamic because it changes at timed intervals).
IP addresses are 32 bit numbers identifying a computer/networked device on the Internet. They are currently represented in 4 parts with dots between them, such as 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 as some of you may recognize from setting up a residential router. Those numbers represent the calling card of that computer, similar to that of your cell phone number, a unique address that lets other systems know how to find you.
Computers inside your home are most typically using dynamic IPs assigned by your home router, known as private IP addresses, because they are only known to other machines in your own network. Your router also has an dynamic IP address assigned from your Internet provider from its pool of IPs, called public IP addresses, because these addresses can talk to one another all over the world.
So your router is connected to your Internet provider which can talk to other public computers/routers. It’s also connected to you personal computer so it can make connections to those public computers. Got it?"
Why Should You Pay More for a Static IP Address?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!