View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Praying for momma and babies. Vets are not breeders and are clueless about lines and pedigrees of dogs that are compatible and those that are not, and the possible genetic issues that may be predisposed with a mis-mating with two incompatable dogs. They see a pregnant dog and they see $$$$....possible c-section, follow up care for momma and babies, possible resuscitative efforts for new borns, possible 24 hour care of newborns by owners, feeding around the clock, etc.....INCOME!!!!!

The fortunate thing is, the people you give/sell these babies to, (unaware of the pedigrees behind them, whether they are even compatable and will result in unhealthy babies) will know where to find you as the breeder, to help financially with any health disasters they may get with these puppies from unproven stock. That will be a good thing FOR THEM, if it comes to that......

Just out of curiosity, since you did say you are planning on breeding, what lines are behind these two dogs? Need to go back at least 9 generations, with a good working knowledge of what mixes and what does not mix....that will usually dilute out minor genetic issues, but only if care has been taken along the way to not double up on your lines. Of course, there are lines you just do NOT mix....separately, they are fantastic, gorgeous, healthy dogs....but if mixed with particular pedigrees, it is like mixing oil and water....you will have issues....Fortunately, since you are planning to get into breeding yorkies, you have researched all this information and know what pedigrees to mix and who not to EVER mix! As responsible, reputable breeders, we do not ever plunge headlong into breeding, totally oblivious to what dogs pedigrees mix and what dogs should never be combined. As a responsible, reputable breeder, we stand behind our dogs and what they produce, our reputations as trustworthy breeders demands this, for the life of the babies.....but you already know all this! And of course, you have a vet on call 24/7, with extensive knowledge about yorkies, breeding, whelping, and hand rearing orphaned newborns. Your vet may even know about pedigrees.....not often does that happen, but she may, as vets that specialize in breeding/whelping yorkies (or whatever breed they specialize in) often do.....

The most difficult part of it all, is when I hold my momma's and look into their adoring eyes, and ask her and myself, "Is your life worth producing this planned litter of puppies".....that is a question I ask of all my breeding females. Thank God I put so much effort, so much research, and so much money into selecting my foundation breeding stock, I have never lost a momma having a litter of puppies.....but I have had to deliver by c-section or momma and babies would have died....Thank God for my vet, her head tech, and her anesthesiologist that are on call when I am whelping! Be sure you have your team on call 24/7! It cost a lot, but at least you may not loose your momma or babies to complications!

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 11-30-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!