View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #5
Torguy
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
CONGRATULATIONS yay you finally found your baby, I am soooo happy for you.
I never crate trained all my now passed puppies so I have no advise on CRATE training experience, but have friends and family members that use crates. I will say this, I did have to confine my puppies at times when I was home, yes they would cry. I would let them cry and when they got quite I would let them out. If they cry, howl, yelp, bark and you let them out of the crate, they will learn crying and carrying on will get them out. So yes, let them cry, they have to get use to being confined. Let them out when they have quieted down. Being crated for them should be a good thing, when you are home have crate door open, put some treats in the crate and let the puppy enter the crate to get his treats, praise like crazy when he does this, NEVER use crate as a punishment or a time out. His crate should be his safe haven, a place he will WANT to go in when he wants to nap or hide his goodies.

Now as a new puppy in a new environment, new smells and you a stranger to him he is scared, missing his mama, litter mates and human mama At night when YOU go to bed, keep his crate next to your bed, put a shirt you wore that day in his crate as it will have your scent on it, this will comfort him. If he cries at night you can reach down to his crate let him smell that you are close and he is not alone. He is but a wee little baby and scared, he needs time to adjust to his new home.

What did you name your little guy, and PLEASE pictures when you are able, we all LOVE pictures.

Thanks, this is great advise...and yes finally I got a puppy dammit lolz, I should also mention it is a Morkie, his mom is about 6lbs (Maltese), and her Dad is about 3.5lbs (Yorkie)

I did sort of survive the first night lol, he cried and cried then passed out, then woke up again cried more then passed out.

Was really tough to ignore it, but gonna see what to do tonight, I just hate putting dogs let alone puppies in crates, I was also thinking of getting one of those fences for his main area instead of a crate because it has a more open space concept, what do you think?

Please see attached picture, I will post some more later!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advise On New Puppy!-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Torguy; 11-17-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!