View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
P Hudson
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiesyrky View Post
Hi.
So sorry your baby has this nasty disease. Sounds like she has other issues too that mean she has to take more meds, poor baby.
It does seem that some Yorkies are predispodsed for the horrible P disease. My dog had a mild attack about a year ago and ever since I have fed him Hills ID Low Fat Prescription kibble and perhaps sometimes the canned ID if he is not feeling so good. The vet told me to feed no people food now and I think my issue with him before was I used to give him meds in cheese, so he gets no cheese now. Since on the Hills he has been fine and the PCL numbers are down to 63.
As he is so well, I now put a small amount (Like a thumb nail) of boiled low fat chicken breast as a topper for the kibble to give him some 'real food'. I also give him some cooked veggies as a treat if we have them.
My dog also has acid reflux disease and I have a theory that acid has some bearing on P in his case, but no proof! Since his last attack when he was prescribed Pepcid antacid, I give him Pepcid at night with his last small meal, he is very well. Now he has no throwing up bile in the mornings.
Hope your girl feels better soon and is back with you and keeps well on the special diet.
Thanks for replying. Yes, I was leery of the suggestion the vet gave to use peanut butter or cheese to give meds, especially since I believe my giving her meds three times a day within hot dogs probably at the very least contributed to this attack.

I should have known, having had another dog who had two pancreatitis attacks and was put on a low fat diet, but he was old and had kidney disease right on the end of the pancreatitis and I guess I attributed it all to age.

Also, a cautionary tale: Anna's first attack was so mild. She didn't really seem ill at all and her regular blood work didn't show a rise in the markers. But she had thrown up a few times that day, so my regular vet did the specific test that is only for pancreatitis and it showed a slight elevation. Just to be safe that time, we took her to the ER. They kept her a night for IV fluids but she felt great the next morning and that vet sort of blew it off as, "Well, it's common in these dogs and could be caused by anything, even stress."

I wish he'd have warned me to go low-fat with her at the time. I guess I wanted to be relieved and think it was just a fluke. So I was and I did. Now I know it wasn't and I think maybe I could have prevented this worse attack.

I hope anybody who's reading this takes a "mild elevation" seriously and can maybe prevent their baby from having one that isn't so mild. It's really scary and that guilty feeling is heavy.

The good news is that they finally got Annabelle to eat some chicken baby food twice, so at present she seems to be getting better.

Thanks to all who responded with helpful advice and kind wishes.
P Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!