View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I am sorry you are having difficulties with the dog and grand daughters. I do have to agree with others on here that a 3 or 4 year old child should not have a yorkie though. If the Yorkie was strictly for you and the grandchild is there then maybe that can be worked with better. I have 2 teenagers and 3 Yorkies in my house, I can not imagine a small child dealing with my dogs. Children can not be trusted with a small dog. I would make sure you do not leave the granddaughter alone with the dog even for a moment.

There are many reasons the dog could be acting this way toward her and I know someone else mentioned that maybe the dog felt threatened, maybe the dog wanted to play. My puppies growl at me when they want to play, but I know them well enough to know that they are growling to play. My older Yorkie that I adopted growls when we play, and I know he is just playing. I would watch very closely and try to figure out why the dog is doing this. The dog may not understand to be more gentle with the granddaughter than she has to be with you.

Good luck and if you need to get a trainer involved then please spend the money on it. I have known several trainers that are worth every penny it would cost you. If your dog is not already in an obedience class then look into one, even a Petsmart class would give you basics on training the dog and it will help you connect with the dog.

I would personally give up the idea that the dog was gotten for a little child. Love the dog as yours, but make it clear that the little girl comes to visit as well and the dog can not be aggressive toward her. I feel that Yorkies should not belong to a child younger than about 12. My daughter just got a Yorkie puppy for her 17th birthday and that is going well because she is old enough and mature enough to take care of the puppy. She has trained her very well and she is a great puppy.

Good luck! I hope things get better.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!