View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navillusc View Post
Interesting...but I have no idea about this in humans. Maybe it's contagious...is he around Teddy a lot?
LOL, he is around Teddy a lot. Teddy is his boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navillusc View Post
As I understand it, it has to do with the pup's genetic ability to produce black pigment protein (eumelanin) in conjunction with the internal shape of the hair itself so that the pigment, properly produced, can be reflected down the inside of the hair shaft to the tip of the hair. If incorrect, the pigment 'may' only travel a short way. From what I have found, there is a specific 'triangular internal shape' that allows the color to reflect properly down the hair shaft. Without it, the color won't go all the way to the tip of the hair. This is all from ('bad'...?..LOL) memory, but I have a document with the explanation, diagram of the hair 'shapes' included...somewhere......very interesting. The correct hair shape will have the correct 'sheen' and 'feel' too...if I remember correctly.
That might explain why Teddy's lighter hair is not quite as silky as Max's dark steel blue back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
It has to be something with the Melanin, doesn't it...?
I found this relative to human hair. My brain can't quite comprehend the explanation on a Saturday night.
pigmentation - Why can white hairs get dark again? - Biology Stack Exchange

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!