View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #11
DBlain
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLynnC View Post
Hi and welcome. I lived in Ky most of my life amd would suggest a coupe of things. first get in touch with the Lexington Kennel Club, then the Louisville Kennel Club and see who they have as Yorkie show/breeders. If nothing branch out to Cinn. and Nashville or Knoxville. If you are looking for a pup in the 600-700 dollar range don't know if that would be their price, if not you may get some referrals from them for other breeders. I started going to the dog shows in the area and hung around the Yorkie ring and would get the show catalogue with their names addresses, etc and contacted them. made some great connections tips and friends when started getting into this wonderful breed many years ago. Hope this helps you. Good Luck Majority of our yorkies came from show breeders. When you buy from them, they have been fixed prior to us getting them which is fine with us.
exactly the same type of thing I was thinking you should do, but most show breeders sell puppies for $1,000 or more. If you are prepared to spend that much or more make sure you do lots of research first and only buy from breeders that are currently showing or showed not that long ago, otherwise you run the risk of falling prey to someone with a fancy website trying to inflate the value of their lines by saying things like beautiful baby doll faces, tiny bodies, charting to be under 4 lbs and so forth, great champion lines (which they can't prove). Most show breeders don't offer to sell puppies until they are a min of 12 weeks old, not just because it is better for the pup but because their main objective is to birth show puppies, until a yorkie is 12 weeks or older they do not know if it will be show potential like will it clear it's head, will the back be blue black, will it have the right personality for the ring and so forth. My first pet quality yorkie that came from a show breeder looked almost like a skunk when I bought her, she had a prominent silver streak down the center of her back, which meant that her body hair was growing out to be silver so she would be to light, just like an adult that dies there here, until a puppy is old enough to start showing the roots of their adult hair you will not know what their hair will look like. That does not start happening until around 10-12 weeks. That's why show breeders will say I am not sure if I am going to sell or not. I never showed but I also hung around the show ring, meeting breeders and finding out what to look for. I never knew about a roach back, or a sooty head until I talked with them. The only difference is that none of the breeders I bought my pups from had them fixed first, they were all between 12 and 14 weeks when they came home with me, I did have to sign a spay/neuter agreement though or I would not get their AKC papers. After getting the first pup registered, I did not bother to register the others because I was not planning on breeding, or showing so I thought it was a waste of time or money. None of the breeders ever contacted me looking for the proof though. Dogs from non show breeders have a wide price range some even charge over $3,000 Those dogs can be healthy, but you need to do your homework and only buy a puppy over 12 weeks old, don't fall for breeders that give you excuse why the puppy can go home earlier. My last dog is a mix that I paid $450 for but she was 16 weeks old and I took her to the vet immediately after leaving the breeders home for a full blood work panel and chest x ray along with the normal stuff, I also post dated my check so if things showed up I was fully prepared to return her. My risk turned out well (knock on wood she is almost 5) but I thought things through and knew I would not take an 8 week old home like so many mixes or poor breeders sell dogs at. Anyway sorry for being so long winded, but I know it is so easy to get sucked in by fancy wording and web sites. good luck
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!