Thread: Frustrated!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

[QUOTE=Mayzoo;4598216]One of our dogs rarely ever get snacks. He hates and will not touch human food. He does get a few dog biscuits maybe once a week.

Our other dog is in service dog training training, so he gets treats almost day as training tools. As a service dog trainee, Mario never gets human food. He has strict rules he must obey and he must behave a specific way. Yet, he is the happiest dog I know and the best trained in our entire family. We went to a party last night, and 8 adults postponed a game they were playing for 30 minutes simply to watch the playful antics of Mario engaging the four other dogs there into playing with him, even the one that did not want to play ended up playing.

HOWEVER, you need work on becoming secure in your choices and ignore what everyone else does. Your dogs are not comparing notes with other dogs and they are not feeling resentful about treats. If they are healthy and happy, you should be happy. If your routine works for you, then good for you and better for them.

As for your MIL, she has created the environment she can live with which is a picky eating dog. Likely her feeding habits have a huge contribution to that situation. If you do not want what she has feeding environment wise, and are happy with the environment you already have, sit back and enjoy what you have.

There is no reason to stress over this. Let what she says roll off since you are confident (work on this ) with the choices you have made and the outcome those choices have lead to which include happy, healthy, well adjusted dogs[/QUOTE]

When I first started reading this response, and got to the part addressing your issues, I rejoiced! Excellent advice!! "She has created the environment she can live with".....SO VERY TRUE!!!!! She is doing what she thinks is best for her baby and she loves doing it for her baby! My mother used to feed her Chihuahua boiled chicken, mixed with rice and green peas or green beans or that veggi medley from a can, pup got cream of wheat for breakfast (or oatmeal) and scrambled eggs, pup got "a bite" of whatever momma or daddy were eating between meals or at bedtime snack, and she was thrilled to be taking care of another living thing that was dependent on her to care for it! That chi never ate one bite of any kind of dog food and it lived to be 12 years old.....when that baby died, momma was lost...she was an "empty nester" and it was traumatic for her....let her take care of her little dog any way that fulfills her....you could encourage more veggies for weight control......it may kill you to see it happening, but you are wasting your time and breath trying to change her....it is creating turmoil and discord, and fortunately she is not living with you or even within easy driving distance, so your exposure to this feeding behavior will be limited!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!