View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
lisaly
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Last school year I read a book with my students that raised their awareness about animal welfare The One and Only Ivan. Although it's more geared to younger students, we explored issues at a higher level. The book won a Newberry Award and is very touching. It's inspired by a story about Ivan, a silverback gorilla who lived in a shopping mall for 27 years and was finally brought to Zoo Atlanta to live out the rest of his life. The video Urban Gorilla brought attention to Ivan's plight, and it's worth the 52 minutes spent viewing it. I loved the documentary, and so did my students.

While we were exploring the novel, we talked about a current animal rights case about two chimpanzees, Hercules and Leo, who were being used for experimentation by Stony Brook University. Nonhumanrightsproject.org stated, "Stony Brook University indicated at the end of July that it would no longer experiment on Hercules and Leo and we are deep in negotiations with Stony Brook and with Hercules’ and Leo’s “owner” the New Iberia Research Center to settle the case and have Hercules and Leo transferred to Save the Chimps or an appropriate member sanctuary of the North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance. We’ve made clear that if Stony Brook attempts to move Hercules and Leo to any place other than one of the aforementioned sanctuaries, we’ll immediately seek a preliminary injunction to prevent this move pending the outcome of all appeals (as we succeeded in doing in Tommy’s case last year)." They also stated the following: "The Nonhuman Rights Project has filed a Notice of Appeal to the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court, First Judicial Department, from a decision and order in “Hercules and Leo” case on August 5, 2015, denying a petition for a writ of habeas corpus." (See Ted talk link below).

All of this is thought provoking to say the least. I strongly believe in animal awareness and welfare, and at first glance I can be swayed about animal rights, as well. Then I am reminded of what is done by some in the name of animal rights and the abuses that it can lead to, and it makes me very sad. Although there is a great deal of Pollyanna in me, and I am an optimist, I believe it's always imperative to educate oneself further and question. Thanks, Gail, for sharing this with us. I've never seen John Katz' website, but I have purchased some of his books to read when I have some more time on my hands.

The Urban Gorilla -- ArgoFilms.com
from Allison Argo
Produced, Written & Directed by Allison Argo, The Urban Gorilla was made as an independent film and broadcast by National Geographic in 1991. This compelling and intimate look at gorillas living in captivity won dozens of awards, including a duPont Columbia Award and two Emmy nominations. The film was narrated by Glenn Close.

Ivan, a solitary silverback living at the B&I shopping mall in Washington State, was featured in The Urban Gorilla. After the film was broadcast, protests led to Ivan being transferred to Zoo Atlanta - where he felt the sun, walked on the grass and saw other gorillas for the first time in nearly 30 years.

https://vimeo.com/87866211 Urban Gorilla video

The One and Only Ivan: Katherine Applegate,...The One and Only Ivan: Katherine Applegate,...

Steven Wise: Chimps have feelings and thoughts. They should also have rights | TED Talk | TED.com

Notice of Appeal Filed in Hercules and Leo Case : The Nonhuman Rights Project

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .

Last edited by lisaly; 09-27-2015 at 02:06 PM.
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!