Thread: trys to bite us
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
Biting is a sign he wants to be the dominate one. When I adopted Cody at 2.5 y/o and went to open my front door when someone came to the house, he wanted to dash out of the door, I would hold him back by blocking him with my foot, the first time I did this he went to bite my foot, In the firmest voice I could muster up without SCREAMING, I told him "no biting" this happened a couple of more times, again I used THE SAME COMMAND WORDS in a very firm voice "no biting", that stopped after 3 or 4 times. Shortly after that I started training him to sit, stay, down, wait, etc.
Now when someone comes to the door I tell him to STAY, WAIT I no longer have to foot block him, he follows the command..A day came when I had to move him from a place I did not want him out, I went to move him with my hand and he went to bite me, again in a firm voice "no biting" and removed him from the room completely, again this happened a couple of times he was told 'no biting" and removed from the room. Now there is no more biting, not even when we rough play, if I feel his play bite was to hard I tell him "no biting" he knows what that means and will mouth me but not bite . Train the "no biting" also the basic, sit, stay, wait etc.
Great advice. You need to teach your dog impulse control and making him wait for things i.e. asking him to sit and then giving him a treat after 30 seconds or so is a great way to control impulses. Also, until you have successfully trained 'no bite' do not try to correct the dog with your body parts cuz he is trying to correct you with his i.e. his teeth. You will note that mama dogs nip their babies as corrective measures so this is the same thing with your puppy and you. Just remind him (gently but firmly and consistently) that you're the boss!
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!