View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Not all yorkies have hypoglycemia....I have NEVER had a baby that I had produced from my breeding stock, suffer with this condition. I think a lot of people think all little dogs/yorkies are predisposed to this condition and they are not. That does not mean you can STARVE them for a week without issues......I understand your frantic attempts, trying to get this baby to eat. It has just been my experience, watching people jump from food to food to food, so upset, so distraught, so confused and worried about this tiny little dog that is pulling all your strings, flipping all your switches, NOT eating.....

If your puppy does not hbave a predisposition to hypoglycemia, your baby will be fine. "........breeder sent her with some food that she has bee on, but when she came to us, at first she did eat, about 1/3 cup of food..but after that she just simply refused to eat, and i started to mix some rice and chicken broth to her food, but then she'd just spit out her kibble and just picked out rice and licked off the broth.."
THIS is right where your train jumped the tracks! She seemed to be eating just fine...1/3 cup of food for a puppy is a pretty good amount, unless you are dealing with a Great Dane puppy! A 6 month old Yorkie's stomach is only the size of a pecan or maybe a walnut. 1/3 cup of dog food during the day, for a pup this age, is fine! I feed my adults, weighing 4-5 lbs, 1/2 a cup during the winter, during summer when they are out swimming and running, chasing bubbles and playing in the sprinklers, 3/4 a cup....until it gets so hot they slow down again, and food intake is cut back....they also get 1/4 cup veggies mixed into their ration of dog food....but these are grown dogs!

My point is, your puppy is getting enough dog food at 1/3 cup! But I see in the first post you say she was eating 1/3 cup of what she came to you eating....then after a while, she stopped and you went to rice and chicken broth mixed in, and she picked out the rice and licked the broth.....
What did the breeder have her on, that she initially had been eating? I suggest you go back to what she had been getting, as long as it is a puppy formula. I would take about 1 teaspoon of baby food, chicken, mix it up in about 1/4 cup warm water, and mix that into whatever kibble you are feeding this pup.....that will give the smell of chicken but pup can not pick out hunks of chicken or rice from the dog food. And that is what I would stick with.....when that baby gets hungry enough, she will eat what she was eating when you got her, with the addition of the "great human chicken baby food gravy".....as long as she does not have a problem with hypoglycemia...and not all yorkies have this....some people think ALL little dogs all have this condition...NOT TRUE.....I have never had any of my babies that were born from my breedings, suffer with this, even when they are going through weaning and eating is on/off.....if you are really concerned about this happening to your baby, get some NutriCal from the vet, and dose the baby with a dab, 4-5 times a day(8am-12 noon-4pm-8pm-12mn) to keep blood sugar levels on an even keel.....but I can tell you, this baby WILL eat after a day....especially some food that she is familiar with, what she was on when you got her.....you have to get her BACK on this by adding a dab of the baby chicken and warm water......

This is what I would do....I have never had a puppy die from starvation, nor have I ever had an adult fall over dead from starvation.....

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 09-16-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!