View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #67
maxdog
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

First there was bad news.

When Max went back for a follow up last week, our vet said one of the bones was not healing properly and Max would need a bone graph. After 8 weeks we would be back to square one. My heart just broke for Max because I know he cannot wait to be able to run free of the splint again. I felt so guilty because we did not crate him 100% of the time. We limited him to the kitchen while we were at work where there is nothing to climb or jump from. When we were home we would let him in the family room and he did jump off the couch a couple of times. He would be sleeping peacefully on the couch, the doorbell rings and before we can blink he is off to the races to slay the intruder. I felt so bad thinking that our trying to pamper him would cause him extended pain and rehab.

Then there was good news.

We took him to a board certified surgeon today and after looking at the x-rays he said Max definitely does NOT need surgery. He said one bone is definitely healing faster than the other but both are on track to allow him to be 100% happy and healthy again. He felt the area and said it feels very stable. He did say that it needs another 2-6 weeks of healing and that during this time Max is to be kept in a crate. He can come out of it if we are holding him in ours arms or if he is on a leash. Absolutely no freedom to run or jump. He does not need the splint any more (yaah!). We have to take him outside on the leash 2 - 3 times a day for 5 minute walks on the grass. He was very firm about the crate.

ME: Can we let him walk around the family room if we are there with him?
DOC: NO!
ME: Can he sleep in the bed with me - he does not move around at night.
ME: Can Sasha be in the crate with him?
ME: Can he...
DOC: NO!!!

Max is not going to like it but he is on lockdown as of that moment. Maybe if I had done this sooner he would have healed quicker but I am SO HAPPY and RELIEVED that he is going to be OK. We go back in 2 weeks and the doc said if it looks like he is walking well on the foot we don't even need to do another x-ray.

I will be so happy to see my big fella running free again.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!