View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #12
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Head held down when you call her is a sign of fear, if she was used for breeding only she does not know the way to live with ppl, nor would she have been taught any commands, if she was confined in a kennel for breeding only she had no human contact. This girl has to be handled gently just as you are doing. Keep in mind for 3 years she lived a life you know nothing about, it will take time, much time to break a 3 year routine she lived. As I see it the way you are handling her is great, make no demands on her, head held down still shows fear, she still needs time to TRUST you, who knows, maybe she was smacked around where ever she came from. Does she know sit, down, stay simple basic commands? Maybe in the past when she was called she was smacked, hit, beat, that could be a reason she holds her head down, fear. With rescues it's trial and error, if one thing fails try another method. You have her a year, you have seen some changes in her, everything must be done in baby steps. Her gaining 100% trust in you is a must, and it's NOT YOU, it's PPL in general, trusting ppl. Poor sweet little Piper. Think of the fear she has in humans, 3 years does not get erased in a years time. Piper has found the perfect momma, some ppl would not be so willing to work with a baby like Piper, they have no patience, no understanding of what her life could have been like. From what I have read from you on Piper's behavior, I would not use a firm voice with her when you call her and she doesn't , gentle, soft voice with of course treat and praise which I see you have been doing. Taking her for car rides when you can, and walks help build a bond and trust.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!