View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Jkpal
YT 2000 Club Member

Default Piper's Super Power--arrgghh

I've held off on asking what to do because I'm not sure I can accurately impart my dilemma (I apologize for length of post)...From day one, Piper will not follow simple 'commands.' While holding a bit of chicken (favorite), I asked her to sit; she lowered her adorable little head and start to slink away...Well, right or wrong, I immediately told her it was ok and called her back. As I said, Piper won't listen to anything she doesn't want to do and nothing, I mean, NOTHING motivates her to change her mind. It's danged obvious she's a smart little cookie and picks up on things that work for her very quickly, but I've no idea how to get her to listen to me, i.e. coming when called, sit, stay...I'm at a loss, for sure. I raised and trained two German Shepherds and understand and subscribe to calm, consistent training, but I had their attention and they had the desire to please. And, as I said, if Piper thinks she is being told to "do" something (sit, stay), the result is the head drop, turn away, headed for under couch. Lately she's taking her sweet time about coming when called in the house and that, I will say, is causing me some frustration; I have to take a deep breath and change my tone and still I wait. Whenever Piper comes, every time she comes, I excitedly praise her. I'd have no problem with being firmer with Piper--if it got results, but as I said, so far no matter what tact I take, if she decides "oh no I will not" nothing, but nothing has had any affect on 'motivating' her...Piper transcends stubborn; I mean she's rather amazing in her commitment to it--she can't hear ya, won't look at you--ya get nothing!!

Now believe me, if Piper stays exactly as she is this minute--headstrong, willful, independent, determined--I think she's just about the most perfectly precious adorable gift God has ever bestowed on me. She balances her 'rude' behavior by mostly being adorable, loving, sensitive, sweet, shadowing, and totally trusting. I guess because she ignores me at will, I wonder sometimes...Does she love me? Is she happy here? Does she care that it's me taking her for a walk or would anybody do...? Any thoughts as to Piper's behavior and/or mine? Constructive criticism is welcome.

Jkpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!