View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #14
Mayzoo
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Charm View Post
Hey mayzoo I was wondering if you could share with me some of the ways that your yorkie will be able to support your child with autism? I realize it is a very broad spectrum and that kiddos fall into very different colors of that rainbow sometimes so that it could look very different for many different people but I would love to know if you would be willing to share
I do not mind in the slightest talking about kiddo and her challenges. I am very proud of everything she has accomplished.

She is not a runner, so Mario is, of course, not a tether dog. At 9lbs that is just not in his future. EVER lol.

Right now the planned tasks are:

Aide in communication and socialization. She can speak, but does not and a cute dog is a great ice breaker to get her back to talking about her dog then hopefully more later. People everywhere we go ask her questions about him: Breed, name, training etc...

He will be trained in intelligent disobedience just like a seeing eye dog. Kiddo needs to be reminded every time to look both ways for cars or she simply will not. He cannot stop her from walking in front of a car, but he can act as that reminder. If he sees a car and does not get up despite her giving him a release command that will be a reminder. Just his sitting down at an intersection or a crossing will likely be enough to remind her. She is already in complete control (I am hands off but closely supervising) in all outside settings. Of course, I am still doing all his training by verbal cues and interventions. He has a special split leash and one part is attached to her (only in case she drops the handle) and she holds the handle on the other part. She is in training right now as much as he is. She must be able to ccompletely control him and cue him AND she must learn to listen to him as well. They have to learn to work as a team or this simply will not work.

He also will alert her as her anxiety rises and comfort her till it drops.

She says she sleeps better with him in her room. Not sure if he is a pressure comfort, or a security help. I'll take any help I can get ��.

We will add more tasks as time goes on, but these are the biggies or now. Sorry for typos. On my phone right now.

Last edited by Mayzoo; 09-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Mayzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!