View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
yorkiemini
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayzoo View Post
I am training a yorkie to be my daughters autism service dog.

If you get a dog from a service, I do not believe you get to choose the breed. It is usually a 18-24 month wait once you are accepted as a client, sometimes longer if they have a waiting list. Here is a google search that may help you some:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#n...ure+alert+dogs

What Mayzoo says is true - however the reason for this seems pretty obvious.
When my dog was in training school (not for seizure training) there were several seizure response dogs in training there as well. My service dog is a Yorkie, however none of the seizure alert dogs were small dogs. I watched them do the advanced training with these dogs who were large - to support their handler who was collapsing with auras or beginning seizure activity to get them safely to the floor, then carefully, but systematically, roll them over on their side, and keep them there while continuing to support (not restrain) their bodies so they would not aspirate if they vomited, just to name a few tasks. A small dog could not have performed those tasks - it took some size and strength to do them. Frankly they were outstanding dogs who were near the end of their training. I did not get to see their early training. Also, theses dogs may not "guard" their handler, which would withhold treatment and care for their person.

My Yorkie came to the training fully obedience trained as well as having been in the confirmation ring for 10 months. We watched many dogs in the early stage fail the temperament and focus examinations. My dog was well ahead of the others her age due to her previous training but had the right temperament and focus. They told me her training would be 1.5 to 2 years, however she completed her program at 16.5 months.

They will not let a dog be matched with person who is in need until they are absolutely reliable and consistent. Ha, it almost took longer to train me than it did her! She was smarter!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!