View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

I believe Alonzo needs confidence, lots of exercise and a sense of purpose, and positive reinforcement training.

For the food issue, I would put distance between Alonzo's bowl and your Boxer's. If Alonzo still tries to keep your Boxer from the bowl, put up a barrier like a baby gate or xpen and supervise mealtimes. (this is what I had to do when we first brought our second Yorkie home)

Does Alonzo know basic obedience commands? Work with him each day. Make it like a play session asking him to perform basic commands/tricks for small rewards like a kibble for each. Include your Boxer if they will work together. Simple sits, stay, down, shake hands . . . and whatever you have/or can teach him.

An obedience class would also be good, even if he had one as a puppy.

Do not show anger or frustration when he misbehaves. Negative high energy will likely only fuel his negative high energy.

Make sure he gets plenty of exercise. Ideally, establish a daily routine so that he knows when to expect things. Routines tend to have a calming affect. Also, talk to him. Make him feel like he is a part of your routine. Praise him when he deserves it.

You mentioned that when he ran outside to confront the woman that you managed to get him to lie down. Do you mean something like the "Alpha Roll" that Cesar Milan uses? I highly recommend not trying to dominate Alonzo that way. I tried this method very briefly with Max when he was younger and quickly learned that positive reinforcement training is so much more productive!

Here is an article by trainer Victoria Stilwell about resource guarding: https://positively.com/dog-behavior/...urce-guarding/

Best wishes and I hope you will update us regularly on Alonzo.

Last edited by Maximo; 09-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!