View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
ldduet
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Cystotomy recovery re-assurance

I'm new to this website, but was looking for other owners who's yorkies had cystotomy surgery to our compare recovery to theirs. My vet tells me every patient is different, but I guess I am just looking for re-assurance that time heals all.

My 10 year old female yorkie had surgery last Thursday (August 27, 2015) to have oxalate stones removed. She had one big one and several little ones removed successfully. (Culture report came back yesterday showing nothing else -- yay!)

She was on Rimadyl (pain) for three days and is on Clavamox (antibiotic) for one week -- just as a precaution.

Vet has her on the Hills Prescription Diet c/d for urinary care dog food -- dry (for the rest of her life) and they also gave me a can of the wet version to use to give her her meds (hide pills in wet food). All has been going good -- she likes her new food and she is taking her medication.

My questions / concerns:
1) I'm wetting her dry food just to get her used to it. Maybe I'm doing more harm than good ? Is this adding too much "water" to her diet ?
2) Concerned about her urination! She is having accidents in the house and when she does go out she pees and then squats several times. It breaks my heart.
3) How long before I should see improvement with the urination? My vet does not seem concerned ?
4) I read somewhere on this site that their dog was allergic to this type of food and once changed, all urination problems cleared up ? Anyone experience this ?

Her next appointment (to remove staples) is the Tuesday after labor day (September 8, 2015).

Thanks so much for any input re-assurance that you can share !
ldduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!