View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
MoJean
Yorkie Talker

Default Bitten by the show bug

I have recently been bitten by the show bug, and plan on one day having a Yorkie of my own to show. But I have alot of research to d before then. I am hoping I can get some help here
I seen the other thread about starting to show, and I have some questions that weren't mentioned in that thread, but I didn't want to hijack her post.
I plan on joining my local kennel club if I can. They hold a yearly show, and it's next week, I am hoping to be able to get up there (It's about an hour away)
I was wondering how one cares for the show coat, as opposed to the pet coat. I know that you don't cut it as one would with a pet coat, but are their brushes that you cant use on a show coat? Perhaps slickers? I read somewhere that they cause hair breakage. Do you have to wrap the coat constantly when not showing? What are the best brushes and shampoos and conditioners to use? What is your regular grooming schedule like, both on a day to day basis, and at show time? I noticed looking at numerous kennels that they have females in pet coats, and not shown, but show their males. Are males easier to show than females? I have heard that most prefer to show males, because females can't be shown during estrus. Would love to hear your thoughts on that. Would also love to hear any advice you can think to give. I am new to all this, and hope to learn from those of you who know whats what =)
MoJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!