View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

This is a real concern and quite frankly it depends upon the personality of the cat. I am somewhat divided on this issue. I do not agree with declawing cats - I do how-ever provide multiple scratching posts and the kitty is trained from kittyhood to use the posts.

How-ever there is a a danger with the claws - eyes would be my main concern. So what we have done and quite frankly always do is crate the young ones - leave our senior male out and the cat - who have had a very long term relationship if we leave the home and leave all pups n cat at home. At night all young dogs are crated and only Karma and our senior have free night roam.

We had multiple scratching posts with ledges so the cat could get out of the way of eager pups and young adults. Our cat was a Maine Coone - famous for their wonderfull personality - almost dog like - you can train a Maine Coone to walk on lead. He was the dominant personality in our pack and reared all of our pups - He used flat paws on puppies to correct inappropriate behaviour. If a young adolescent would get out of line only then would he swipe and he aimed pretty carefully.
Our Maine ruled my lap - when he wanted up - he expected any other dog to get out of his way. He went as he pleased into all the dog crates including our big male - and no dog challenged his place in *their crate*.

On a practical side - if you are litter training the cat - keep the litter box out of reach of the dogs. Dogs seem to love cat poop. Keep the cat food up and out of reach of the dogs.

I think that dogs n cats can co-reside peacefully - how-ever effort and caution on the owners part is indicated.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!