View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
Seatrtle
Yorkie Yakker

It's been my experience that most vets won't declaw the back feet so that the cat has some defense if he/she should ever get out of the house. I have two senior cats ages 13 and 14 years old, and brought home a new puppy this past June. I let the cats have their usual full range of the house and use baby gates for the parts of the house the puppy is not allowed in. Each cat adjusted differently. One of the cats LOVES the puppy and the other one doesn't. The cats can jump onto the couch, bed, etc where the puppy can't chase them. I would supervise all interactions, but the puppy will need to be supervised when it's out of the crate/expen anyway. I will say that the cat that dislikes the puppy has become more herself and tolerant of the puppy. She went through a period of time when she just kept to herself. We had to make sure that she got the attention that she was used to. I do have an older dog who is 11 years old as well. So the cats have been around dogs for 11 years. That may have made a difference in their adjustment. The one cat that has had trouble adjusting to the puppy has never really liked the older dog either. She tolerates him.

You will love your puppy! I do. She is so fun! I had to adjust to dividing my time with each fur baby as well, but now we are all adjusted, happy, and into our routine.

Have fun with your new baby!
Seatrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!