View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #12
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

My friend lives in NYC. Due to a large out break of kennel cough a new law was recently implemented.
This is what I found when I googled “is bordetella a core vaccine in NYC”

Met Vet NYC

Bordetella, the New Law and What You Need To Do

Posted By admin On Thursday, June 12th 2014. Under: Dog Health Issues
Bordetella is the bacteria that in rare instances can cause whooping cough in humans; dogs are far more susceptible. The bacteria transmits through direct contact as well as airborne droplets and when combined with the parainfluenza virus leads to the highly contagious upper respiratory infection commonly referred to as Kennel Cough. It is so virulent that the The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has recently toughened vaccination requirements.
N.Y. ADC. LAW § 17-366 : NY Code – Section 17-366: Proof of vaccination required
“No dog shall be accepted at a boarding kennel, business or establishment* unless the owner of such dog provides proof to such facility, including but not limited to a health certificate, a bill or receipt from a veterinarian or other documentation acceptable to the department, that such animal has been vaccinated against rabies, distemper, hepatitis, para influenza and parvo during the previous three years and against bordetella during the previous six months; provided that an owner of a dog shall not be required to provide proof of vaccination pursuant to this section if such owner provides a written statement from a veterinarian indicating that the dog of such owner should not be given such vaccination because of a standard veterinary contraindication and that such dog does not show symptoms of the disease or diseases for which such vaccination is contraindicated.”
*This includes for short-term visits for purposes such as grooming.
What that means for you and your canine companion: Quite simply–if your dog has not had a Bordetella vaccination within the past six months, you should schedule an appointment with your veterinarian promptly–without records indicating this vaccine is current your dog will not be accepted into any boarding or grooming facility–no matter how much they may wag their tail.
Her new puppy is a mix I believe it's Shih Tzu / Maltese, very fluffy white puppy and will need to be groomed.

I am very upset because she is going against my advise of giving this vac by injection and using the intranasal instead. The puppy will be appox 4.5 months old when he gets this vac. Thank you Ann for in put.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!