View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default The bonding of a pup

I will just talk about my experiences - I am too tired to find out if there are any extant studies on this topic.

I will start with my final analysis - sometimes dogs just bond with whom ever they choose that live in the home!

If you are the only human living in the home this post is not for you - but in a multi human household that is a different kettle of fish.

Traditional thinking goes somewhat like this; those that feed walk train and groom the dog is the one the dog will bond with the closest.

Well maybe yes and maybe no. I think dogs have a delicious mind of their own - and that there are different kinds of bonding that go on in the doggy mind and heart.

I have watched n hoped very many times for a dog of ours to show that they have bonded un-equivocably to my hubby - and well it just has not happened. But then I gave up on the un-equivocal part and just watched how my dogs interact with hubby. All my dogs love hubby - they go to him for endless pets - which he gives them - and also the treats they love. He is now feeding them their two meals a day. But where-ever I move or if I go out our dogs are right by me and wait at the window until I return.

In terms of obedience - they obey me much much better. But then I expect obedience of them and train them all. When hubby leaves with a dog and I am at home or just sitting on a park bench - all the dogs look back at least 4 times to see if I am coming. Situation is reversed - no dog looks back to hubby when I leave with a dog. We went swimming yesterday and I took one dog after another out for a swim while hubby sat at the picnic table. We had a rest and a bit of lunch - then I said to hubby will you take the pups in for a swim ? He said yes and thank god I am so tired of the whinging and antics of the two dogs you leave behind. Well good to his word he took each dog out for a swim. There was no whining crying barking going on with the other two stuck with me. Why? I am not sure.

I can supposition that I am the Alpha and as such is someone to be confident in and want to be around. But that does not mean our dogs are not bonded to my hubby - just bonded in a different way.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!