View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
Iluvmypeyton
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Separation Anxiety??

I adopted this Yorkie when he was 2.5 years old. It's really my only regret, not having him since he was a pup. He'll be 6 just before Christmas.

Even though my dad lives with me, he took to me right away, and is a real clinger, which is OK as my previous Yorkie was a clinger too. But this one puts cling, in the word clinger!

I wouldn't trade him in for the world! He was bred as a show dog, so he's just beautiful! And, he loves me so much! In fact, the way both Yorkies I've had have loved me convinces me that I'd never have anything else!

But, lately I've been having trouble taking him to the groomers. He gets stressed out, sometimes goes #2 in his carrier (and it's only an 8 minute trip), and is stressed out for awhile after he gets home.

He used to do OK when my dad took him. But, I think the problem may have developed after I had to retire, due to a medical issue. You see, before, when I was working, he knew I wasn't home anyway. But, now he knows I go home, and then come back to pick him up. He knows I'm home, because I'm home most of the time now. I'm afraid he's suffering from separation anxiety.

If he didn't go do-do in the carrier at times, I would try just taking him to the park or Petco a couple times a week, so that maybe he'd learn to enjoy the car ride.

Or, just set him in my lap, on a towel, and just go around the block, a couple of times, and gradually lengthen the trip and go to the park or something, to get him acclimated to riding in the car more.

Also, I have a 12 year old Maltese, who goes to the groomer at the same time. My dad holds him in his lap, and I don't think Peyton likes the preferential treatment. I say that, because I had to take them separately, last time. And, Peyton did quite a bit better.

I'm open to ideas. It sure is better to take them together, though, rather than have to separate them.

When I go pick him up, for some reason, he's still been on the groomer's table. And, he looks so pretty!!

I don't know what I'm going to do when I lose him. Hopefully, it's at least 10 years from now. I'll be pushing 70. Heck, he might outlive me! But, in 3 years, we've become such buddies! We live in a split level house, and my dad says he lays at the top of the stairs, waiting for me, whenever I'm gone. Isn't that sweet? I tell you, God didn't make a perfect world, but he sure knew what he was doing when he created the dog!
Iluvmypeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!