View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
wigglewomyn
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Well it is good that it was found but Elliott is what 6mths old or more> Why wasn't it caught on one of his physicals? ie previous vet examinations? My gal at 7+ wks old had a soft murmur (which is not an arrhythmia - but still an issue with the heart. She is okay now as young pups often grow out of a soft slight murmur when they are quite young.

If you can, put yourself on a wait list - to take what-ever cancellation might arise earlier than November. Is Elliot a male or female pup? If female she might go into heat and you need to know the signs n symptoms of this and be very alert for them these upcoming months.

I would treat her in the interim quite normally but just careful of intense exercise (especially in hot weather). It is always a good idea to know dog cpr and ar. I think we have a thread on here with links to information on those topics. The vet also should have told you what signs n symptoms are of concern with respect to a worsening heart condition.

My thoughts n prayers go out to you and Elliott that this is something benign and reversible.

Elliot is a female who is 8 months old. I wanted to get her spayed because I am sure she will be going into heat shortly. I don't know why it was never caught on one of her other vet visits. She has been to 2 different vet practices and has seen 4 different vets in the past 8 months. In fact, the second vet to listen to her heart today has seen her before and he said that when he previously saw her that he hadn't detected any irregular heartbeats but definitely did so today. I think the vet said that it was an extra heartbeat that skipped every couple of heartbeats. By this point in the office, I was very upset. I will call the vet's office back to see if he did put in the chart what type he thought it was. In the research I did when I got into my office, none of the ones I saw online, i.e. sinus, puppy, etc., were mentioned by the vet. The vet did tell me to watch out for excessive panting, coughing, lethargy.

I had the office put me on the wait list at the veterinary hospital and also took the appointment in November at Cornell University.

I am so upset over my baby. I was so nervous over her getting spayed today that I almost feel like I brought this on her even though I know that isn't possible. I love my other dog and puppy very much but Elliot holds a special place in my heart because the minute I saw her, her eyes called out to me.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!