View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglewomyn View Post
As I posted yesterday, I was very nervous about taking Elliot to the vet's to be spayed today. I didn't sleep last night because I was so nervous.

I just left the vet's office. Elliot is not going to be spayed today. While doing the pre-check, the vet found that Elliot has an arrhythmia. He took Elliot to another vet at the office to get a second opinion and the second vet concurred. My vet thought that it would be prudent to not put Elliot under anesthesia today and spay her until after she is seen by a cardiologist and some testing was done. It had never been heard before at any of her other visits.

I am so very upset about my baby. Sitting here at the office in tears. I am glad that the arrhythmia was heard before surgery in case there was a chance that my Elliot might die during surgery. The office called the vet hospital for an appointment with a cardiologist and there is a wait list of 40 people! They suggested I call Cornell University for an appointment with a cardiologist there which I did. They are currently booked through November. I will wait until then.

The good thing is that Elliot at the moment doesn't have any other symptoms that would make it an emergent matter. I am to keep an eye on her for other developing symptoms. She was happy to be able to go home to eat

I searched the Yorkie forum for other threads on arrhythmia and found Lynzy420's thread about her puppy. I also googled it when I got to work. I am hoping that Elliot's arrhythmia turns out to be benign but my vet was really concerned after hearing and listening to her heart. He has been a vet a long time and said he was very reluctant to put her under anesthesia without her being seen by a cardiologist and tested. It made me very nervous and anxious. Just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions or comments on arrhythmia.

Well it is good that it was found but Elliott is what 6mths old or more> Why wasn't it caught on one of his physicals? ie previous vet examinations? My gal at 7+ wks old had a soft murmur (which is not an arrhythmia - but still an issue with the heart. She is okay now as young pups often grow out of a soft slight murmur when they are quite young.

If you can, put yourself on a wait list - to take what-ever cancellation might arise earlier than November. Is Elliot a male or female pup? If female she might go into heat and you need to know the signs n symptoms of this and be very alert for them these upcoming months.

I would treat her in the interim quite normally but just careful of intense exercise (especially in hot weather). It is always a good idea to know dog cpr and ar. I think we have a thread on here with links to information on those topics. The vet also should have told you what signs n symptoms are of concern with respect to a worsening heart condition.

My thoughts n prayers go out to you and Elliott that this is something benign and reversible.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!