View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Default Night wakefulness and distress

Hello everyone,
I know I'm not the most regular member here, but I am seeing increasing issues with Jenna and I need a little advice, please.

About two weeks ago, Jenna came down with a sudden onset of colitis. Her first serious digestive issue since being deathly ill with vasculitis in 2013. Vet assumed she had eaten something she shouldn't (hard to imagine with how careful I am with her, but let's go with it) and it brought on bloody diarrhea and general malaise. Amoxicillin for 2 weeks cleared it up and she seemed a little better.
However, another issue we were having was this night wakefulness. She will sleep to Olympic proportions during the day, and used to be very good at night as well. Now the minute the light is off she is up; restless, making little nose whistles (we call it 'squeeing') and groans and gets off and on the bed, sometimes wandering into the kitchen (my bedroom is just off the side of it) to her feeding area. Sometimes she would walk out and poke my other dog with her nose. Sometimes she'd just hang her head, drop her ears and tail and sit looking miserable.
I take her back to bed and she'll lay down and roll back for a belly rub, but she can only stay still for a few minutes, then the whole process repeats. For the last two nights it's gotten over the top to the point I am concerned she is in pain.

I've Googled (of course) and although her symptoms are not entirely identical I get either liver shunt (only some of the behavioural signs unless her colitis was part of it) or dementia.
She's been balking at her kibble for at least a year. I keep telling the vet she isn't enjoying the food, and that I fear it might not be as good for her anymore, but since she does eventually eat it (what choice does she have?) he is unmoved. He once told me he had a home cooking recipe for dogs who need to avoid meat but although I've begged
to have him switch her to this I have yet to see it.
Before her colitis episode this last month I had her in for nondescript issues like excessive scratching, itching, some sleep disturbances and a general checkup but he found nothing to worry about. (He did not run tests.) We knew she was due for a dental as well, but he wanted to put it off till exactly a year had passed. She should have had her teeth cleaned in July but she got sick with the colitis. Not sure if all this could be caused by her teeth, but that shouldn't be thrown out as a possibility.

I'm taking her in (again!) this afternoon to hopefully get some bloodwork done and whatever other diagnostics the vet recommends to see if we can isolate her problem. All I know is, she is not a happy pup and if she is not happy, I am not happy.

I realize I don't have much to go on in the way of symptoms, but if anyone has had something like this happen, could I have your experiences, please? Jenna is 7 years old (we assume from her rescue's info) and we've had her for 5 years. Also, she has been eating only DVP Natural Balance dry dog food since March of 2013 when she had a life threatening case of vasculitis that her vet concluded was brought on by sensitivity to animal protein. He refuses to take her off this food even now, but I am suspecting (especially from reports I have seen at places like Consumer Affairs) that since the Del Monte acquisition, their formula is either altered or they are adding something to it that is not good because it's obviously making dogs sick.

The last time she was in my vet spoke to someone at the company (I assume that was who it was, although he wasn't specific) and she said that nothing has changed with DVPNB. But there are almost 300 complaints at ConsumerAffairs.com that say otherwise. (You have to right click them to see them as they keep them whited out except for the good reviews and verified reviews.)

All I know is, I have a Yorkie who is presenting with alarming changes in behaviour and I want the cause found, whatever it is, and treated. She is my soul mutt, my most precious and I cannot stand to see her ill.

Thank you in advance for reading and for any and all replies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!