Thread: Running
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Ouch, your poor foot!

I trained my boys not to dart out the door and they were perfect for a couple years. Then Teddy decided to dart out and chase the UPS truck down the street. We decided to put up baby gates that keep the boys away from the doors.

If you are opposed to this kind of containment, I would at least work on fixing or installing a new screen door that latches.

Dog trainer Victoria Stilwell demonstrated on her show using a floormat near the door. Have your dog sit and stay on the mat. Takes lots of repetition with rewards when done correctly. Gradually increase the time of the stay and the distance at which you walk away.

For come, practice indoors. Do not ask your dog to come only for things he may not be interested in. Ask him to come, reward with either a treat or praise, and then let him go on his way.

If he gets out, do not chase. Usually standing still, crouching down or even sitting down and calling for him calmly is more likely to make him come to you. Keywords like "treat" or "car ride," whatever he likes will get his attention.

When my Teddy darted out the door (dad was the door opener), I happened to be coming home at the same time. I knelt down in the road with my arms open and calmly called for Teddy to come. Granted, I had the benefit of Teddy being happy to see me return.

Practice, practice, practice.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!