View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #282
lucycouture
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Hi guys, this is my first post! I have a 14 week old Yorkie pup called Bonnie, and I love her to bits!

I initially trained Bonnie to go on pee pads as she was a few weeks delayed on her vaccinations due to being ill (she had campylobacter, poor girl) but now she is able to go outside, I am training her to go outside. I have set up a little area outside the door with an x-pen. She is doing well and will happily run outside to go when the back door is open, but if it isn't open she will just wee and poo on the spot. I don't leave her unsupervised and will rush her outside when I see the signs, but sometimes it just happens super fast with no warning (because she is still so young I'm assuming!).

She has a crate which she sleeps and chills in but I haven't trained her to be shut in it yet - I am doing it very slowly and gradually but it will take a few weeks yet, so crate training isn't an option right now as I think it would traumatise her to be locked in there suddenly.

When we're at work and during the night she is confined in our small kitchen. I leave pee pads down near the back door and she will go on those, but she will also go on the floor. Until I can confine her in her crate, how can I help her learn to hold it in? I want her to eventually learn to go on the pee pads when we're not home or it's night time, but to go outside when we're home and there is no pee pad down - my last Yorkie would bark at the door to tell us she wanted to go out when we were there, but when we were out she went on newspaper. How can I help Bonnie learn this?

Thanks guys!
lucycouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!