View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
paddys mom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Paddington has a CCL injury :(

Hi All,
Its been awhile since I've posted here but I need some advice. My poor Paddy tore his cruciate ligament His regular vet said small dogs do just as well without the surgery, but of course the ortho doc was ready to do the surgery that day. (we weren't). My Paddington is 9 years old and between 7 and 8lbs (probably closer to 8 now that he's not walking much lol) and I am freaked out about putting him through surgery or even putting him under anesthesia for a teeth cleaning. Then again, his luxating patella is worse now on that leg due to atrophy of the muscles. So if they could fix both things that might make the surgery worth it.

I can't stand to see him limping horribly. He won't put much weight on the leg after just a few min of walking. I am a physical therapist so I know about human ACL surgeries and rehab very well and I want to apply that to him, but I don't think he is ready for it the way he is favoring that side. Did anyone that chose not to do the surgery invest in a knee brace? I was thinking, rest plus using a brace when walking outside might be a conservative option.

Thanks, and hope you have all been well!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!