View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 03:15 AM   #13
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobstersmom View Post
I don't necessarily think there is a 'normal' time frame, as every dog and wound is different. I do remember that it seemed like - well, forever! The vet was checking him every second or third day, so I'm thinking she must have expected it to heal pretty quickly. After about two weeks, she said that was too long, and we decided to do the stem cell treatment. They took blood from his neck, used a machine they had to spin and separate the stem cells from the blood, then applied the stem cells directly into his eye. The cells were viable for only five days. They kept them in the fridge at the vet's office, and I brought him in every day for the treatment. The stem cells worked so quickly that by the time I brought him in the 3rd day for the treatment, the ulcer had completely healed.

My yorkie was older and pretty settled and well behaved when he had the ulcer. My husband held him on his lap while I held the eye open and applied the drops without any problem. I also had a toy poodle that developed glaucoma in her later years and needed drops several times per day. She was very food motivated and easily trained to understand that drops meant treats and was very compliant. I didn't even need help to do her drops.

For a feisty puppy - well - Good Luck! Do you have someone that can hold him while you apply the drops? I hope he is feeling better and healed soon.

Diana
That is so cool! I hope Max never has another one, but this treatment is something I will keep in mind.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!