View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
chelbuddy
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Thank you all so much for the welcome!

I love my little boy so much. I have to admit that this whole process was very hard for me - I'd like to put it down here so that I can remember, and maybe point someone to it if they're having a rough time...

Buddy is my first puppy. We had a toy poodle growing up, but my mom took care of her and we really didn't see any of the realities of having a pet that counted on you. I've had several cats over the years, but when my last cat Muggins died 2 years ago, I just didn't want to do it again.

I'd always wanted to get a puppy, but talked myself out of it. Finally, I knew what breed I wanted - I knew I wanted a small dog that I could take to work with me, and I did tons of research. Read everything I could get my hands on. I found a few breeders on the AKC website and visited their litters.

This was back in September - construction on my new kitchen was about to begin so I knew it wasn't time to do it. I kept it in mind, though, and put in an extra deep sink and a "shower" nozzle that could be adjusted for puppy baths. My boyfriend said he knew I would get one, but I still wasn't sure.

The wave of "want" came over me one night around Christmas/My Birthday - the kitchen was done - and I sent the breeder that I liked an email asking if the puppies she was expecting in November were still available. They were, she said, but there was only 1 left - she didn't know which one, but I would be the last deposit in for the litter. There were 2 boys and 2 girls.

Long story short, and lots of excitement, shopping and sleepless nights, and we went to pick up my little Buddy on February 4. Talked about the puppy and what he would need and some basic care information. She gave me some food, some vitamin paste and some literature. She also gave me a toy that the whole litter had played with, and gave back an old t-shirt of mine that went on the puppies bed for the week before I brought him home. Boy did that stink. Went over all the paperwork with the breeder, signed the contract, handed over the check and out came Buddy!

She handed him to my boyfriend first (after she showed him how to hold him) and he was so little and cute!! I was completely blown away. Here is this little life that I'd been expecting all this time and now the reality was here and man, I was scared.

We got him home and took him upstairs to explore his new home. We fed him and gave him water right away, as she hadn't fed him much in anticipation of the car ride.

As I'm trying to look back on it now, I don't remember much about that first day, but I do know that after the first couple of days I honestly thought I would have to bring him back. I was at my wits end. I had thought I would be able to leave him alone for some amounts of time, but nope. He wasn't having it. He would bark and howl for 1/2 an hour if I'd let him - so much for the training books!

But I called my breeder and she set me straight. He's just a baby. He's just away from his home and family. He needs love right now. He'll settle down, just give him love and reassurance and he'll be OK.

I still wasn't sure, but I kept going - and sure enough, day after day, he continued to improve. The first time I knew he was OK was about 4 days after I brought him home I had to bring him into the office with me. By the time I got home I had a migraine the size of California. It was all I could do to put the puppy in the kitchen with water and food and his puppy pad, go into my bedroom, turn out the lights and just pass out.

Amazingly, it was if he could sense that I was in pain and was TOTALLY silent for the 3 hours it took for me to get to a functional point. When I came out, he was totally lovey. I think that really turned things around for me.

I love him like mad. I can't wait to pick him up from daycare in the evenings, and daycare has really been such an excellent investment. He is wondeful with strangers and other puppies. He's an excellent friend. He loves me, and I love him. With lots of vigilance, he rarely has an accident. I've learned to see the "potty dance" even when it's vague!

Anyway, just a little story for me to look back on someday - thanks for indulging me! :-)
chelbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!