View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Bessa
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question So many questions.

Hi, I'm a new Yorkie owner, the dogs were given to me because my mom's friend died and my relative who had them wouldn't pay the extra $300 per dog for them to live at his new apartment. Which is a good thing they came to me, my relative had the dogs for 1 1/2 years and never took them to the vet. Even when he had no clue about when they went to the vet last. They also had no papers on the dogs, which we are working to get. We found out the correct ages of the dogs by my mom calling all the local vets that the original deceased owner might have taken them to. They aren't fixed yet but their tails are docked so I strongly believe they have papers and had went to the vet at sometime. Bella is 4 yrs old (thought to be 6) and Nessi is 3 yrs old. Bella is Nessi's mom.

My first question is about a feeding schedule. I am training the dogs to be housebroken, their original owner had a doggie door and we use a tie out with supervision. I'd really like to put them on a feeding schedule so they have a poop schedule as well since they are snacking all day they can need to go out upwards to 7-8 times a day which is ridiculous and sometimes still have accidents (it went from everyday accidents to every other day-ish)! As it can take them up to 10-15 minutes just to find the right spot to go. My dogs have even pooped on the concrete when I've taken them for walks, it's so weird. I've never seen a dog just poop in the road. So my mom doesn't want me to put her chihuahua who is 9 yrs old on a feed schedule so any ideas on how I'd put just my dogs on a feed schedule with them still having access to her dog's bowl sadly? I'm trying to convince her to do a feed schedule but she insists he's too old and he is overweight (by only about 2 pounds, so he's healthy but he's rather pudgy for a chihuahua). Also, on a feed schedule would I need to use the recommended 1/2 of food for my dogs (I use Halo brand - Nessi is about 5 pounds and Bella is about 6) if I mixed in veggies with it?

My second question is about lavender essential oil. I made up some Coconut oil, shea butter and Nature’s Bounty Earthly Elements Lavender Essential Oil (lavender is 100% pure essential oil) to condition their coats and calm them down. I've also put some on their tummies as they have dry skin, I plan on making a plain batch sans Lavender oil for their tummies since I worry about them ingesting the oil as they lick their tummies a lot and less so their backs (where I plan to put the lavender oil whip butter on). I used about 10 drops in roughly a little over 4 ounces of oils. I contacted the Nature's Bounty company and they said the oil is 100% pure but it's not made for dogs so they advise against giving it to dogs. I'm wondering if this is a legal precaution as I've read it's fine to give dogs essentials if they are diluted in other oils and only used externally. Has any had any experiences with essential oils and their dogs (specifically this brand would be great)?

My third question is about fighting. They sometimes play fight and it seems like they are really fighting. Often when the dog bell rings or their is a noise outside and they jump to the living room window sill (they can put their paws up in it) they will fight randomly for the window (even though there is space for booth) if they touch each other running for it. Is it something I should worry about? I think they might be jealous of each other. Bella will grab toys and take them from Nessi and Bella will grab toys from me when we are playing and run off and put them under my bed so she can only play with them. Bella also hides under the bed a lot. Is that normal?
Bessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!