View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Once more I type a response I don't know why this happens so much but I get 3/4 of the way done and whamooo my response disappears/

Good grief do these supposed docs know how to read an article - not to read from a biased or only seeing what they want to see, but from an objective viewpoint.

On the 22 wks - offa will not certify hips or elbows clear of HD until 2yrs old. Presumably they have a solid rationale for this - so it is hard for me to see at the tender age of 22 wks that we are going to learn a whole lot.
Pennhip asserts they can tell *if* a dog will develop HD or ED not that they have it.

I posted another news article that we have found the gene for HD in GSD and Berners I believe and at Cornell Unive a genetic study is going on for my breed the BRT for HD gene. Finding the gene is a good beginning! But it still doesn't answer the important question of environmental factors and the impact they have.

There is one European study that has looked at this - and found a co-relation of positive environmental factors create both less severe HD in the dog - and an overall lowered incident rates. The factors they found seemed to make intuitive sense to me or at the minimum were common sense if you think about it a bit. That study is posted here.

I have posted elsewhere here for GSD and Berners the HD gene has been found! There is an ongoing BRT study to identify the HD gene in my breed. Hopefully we shall have some exciting news in the next year or two!
I searched and searched and searched, and the only study that I could find that is remotely related to vaccination and antibodies against collagen-related compounds in dogs is that Purdue study cited above. I couldn't find any studies that related excessive vaccination to higher incidence of hip dysplasia. There are plenty of articles in the popular press, but none of them have any science behind them. I agree that there is a strong genetic component, and that the environmental influences are currently unknown.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!