View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

This really isn't about their coats as much as their skin.

Quote:
Depending on breed, gender, climate, and the anatomical size on the dog, the pH levels range from 5.5 to 7.5, tending toward a more alkaline concentration. Therefore, if a shampoo that is formulated for human skin is used on a dog, the dog's acid mantle will be disrupted, creating an environment where bacteria, parasites, and viruses can run rampant. Unknowingly, many pet owners will repeat washings of their dogs because of the smell caused by a proliferation of bacteria, making the problem worse as the skin's acid mantle/pH level becomes more imbalanced. Additionally, if the shampoo makes the skin feel dry, your dog will scratch at its skin, creating abrasions for bacteria to invade. It quickly becomes a vicious cycle. Maintaining Your Dog's Skin pH | petMD
From my understanding though, this only applies to shampoo, because it is what strips away the protective oil covering on the skin. So try not to use human shampoos, but you're probably okay using a human conditioner. If you are really trying to grow coat, I would use only products formulated for dogs.

Join today and remove this ad!