View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Yorkie skin in areas where the hair is dark blue/black will often appear to have a darker cast than the belly or where blonder hair grows. If there is a significant color difference or visible large, irregular patches of darker skin, I would have your vet take a look.

Tiny specs can be flea dirt, as you originally suspected. Are the specs removable? Sometimes fleas can hide very well and all it takes is one of those little boogers to make a mess.

Does your baby itch at all?

Specks can also be a sign of a yeast overgrowth or other skin conditions that can be secondary to another illness. Teddy had a little bit of black specking on his ears when he was younger that I suspect was either yeast or like a 'mold' from being wet. I forget what this mold is really called (exhibitors here have written about it relative to dogs with longer coats). It went away after 3 baths in which I scrubbed well with a good shampoo and was careful to dry his head thoroughly with a dryer on low heat.

One last possibility: vasculitus. That would be the extreme. Sometimes a reaction to a vaccine.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!