View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmartin View Post
We have just enlarged our family with a 2nd Yorkie girl (4lbs, spayed & 14 months old) and I have been feeding her with Organic dog food (spelt) with crushed biscuits in the mornings and boiled chicken with a little rice and mixed vegetables in the evening. I've added a tiny drop of pro-biotic to each breakfast. I've kept the portions smallish to reflect her size (compared to her 9lb sister). She has had one motion in 72hrs, early on day 3 (today) of arrival, which was firm. She is a bit skinny all her ribs and spine are very prominent to feel. She had tremble/spasms tonight for about ten minutes after eating, but has since been chasing about playing with our other girl and their relationship is looking very promising as our other girl has a very tolerant nature. The new arrival is also used to being in the company of 5 other Yorkies.

So, am I feeding her enough, is it too cold from the fridge? Perhaps I should give her a mid - day feed (we are retired so with them constantly) and keep the overall portions the same? At the moment she eats very fast and looks like she could eat all day! She's booked in with the VET for a check up next Monday by the way.
It sounds like the new one is not getting enough calories. At 14 months, she is still young and might have a higher caloric requirement. It's very difficult to create a home cooked meal that is fully balanced without the help of a veterinary nutritionist. Have you consulted one? I'm glad that you're getting her in to see the vet. The only advice I can give is to seek the help of professionals to help figure out what is wrong.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!