View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsiq View Post
Hello!
I just got my sweet morkie puppy on Thursday the 14th. I've been wanting a yorkie of some variety for a while. I did quite a bit of research in advance on the breed so I felt like I was decently knowledgeable going in. I was told he had received his first round of shots on the 4th which would have put him at 6 weeks. By late Friday I determined he had fleas so i took him to the Vet first thing Saturday morning. While there they informed me the first round of shots wouldn't be effective due to immunity he already was receiving from the mom so they gave him his first shots. They also found earmites so they washed his ears and gave me Revolution to treat the fleas and earmites. I have a tube to collect a stool sample but he eats them so quickly (I'm aware it's normal) I missed his first one today! He doesn't eat a ton so I have been giving him nutrical 3 times a day. He seems to be urinating about 8-10 times a day and pooping 1-2 times a day. My biggest concern is he is not super playful. He loves to be held and snuggled. He will sleep for 40 minutes or so then walk around for 15 minutes. I offer him food and water and take him to the potty pad if he doesn't eat sometimes I'll give him a dab of nutrical. I'll try to engage him with toys or blankets and he just looks at me skeptically and sometimes barely dables in play but does not seem enthusiastic or he will just walk away and sniff around. I have been offering him Merrick wet puppy chow and i leave out Merrick grain free puppy kibble. He has never touched the dry he will occasionally take a few licks of the wet but not much. I just cut a blueberry in half and he loved that. I'm learning more about making him food so I'm going to try a recipe and see if he will eat it.

My question is what is likely causing the lack of enthusiasm? With the Nutrical supplement I don't feel that lack of nutrition should be causing the lack of playfulness. I am aware he was separated from mom sooner than he should have been. Could he still be adjusting? Could it be due to all of the treatment he recently received? How long should it take for him to come out of his shell and what can I do to help his development?! One last thing to add is he does seem more playful with my husband but due to his work schedule he's not around a lot during the day.

Thanks in advance! I just want to do right by this little guy. I feel terrible he had the fleas and earmites for who knows how long!
First of all...know that you're doing great so far -- look at how concerned and attentive you clearly are to the little fella! He is lucky.

I do wonder a little, given all his issues, what the breeder was like? Did you see where he was raised or anything? Bc his lack of play makes me wonder a bit here...most puppies are just uncontrollably playful. Of course, he could be stressed and tired and just adjusting, so don't give up yet...he will likely come out of his shell.

Btw, you may want to read up on vaccines...which ones are core vaccines, what the schedule should be etc: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...-overview.html

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!