View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Magnus
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I've never removed a tick because I haven't had any on my dogs (knock wood). But, it's best to remove with pointy tweezers by grabbing the head. Ticks usually have to be attached for a while to spread disease. Only 30% of deer ticks in my area are vectors for disease. I'm sure that's probably similarly true for other ticks as well. So the fact that you pulled the tick and it might not have been infected is prob enough. Do you use anything like advantix or preventic or seresto? Those three products are instant kill for ticks. If you use frontline or others, there is a slower kill.
I don't know about preventic or seresto but I think Advanitx is having less affect here. The last two summers ago were HORRIBLE tick season. I used Advantix II and I'd STILL find ticks on M/Z like every other day. Couple of them were engorged which tells me the spot on treatment wasn't really doing it. I had neighbors mention the same thing but they were using different brands.

It's bit gross but I had a small plastic cup where I kept the ticks drowned in alcohol. If M/Z showed any signs, I wanted to be able to take it in for testing. Before that, I used to burn the little monsters till I heard a pop.

Maybe I should buy one of the suggested tick removal tool...
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!