View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
The best and most popular method we know is to use a tweezer and pull it out gentle to make sure the head comes out with it. I also heard about the soap method... But I believe it annoys(?) the tick more and injects more poison?

About a year ago, I was looking for a way to remove the tick without tweezers. I found this one clip where a guy uses a spot on treatment (like advantix) to remove the tick. Simply, apply a drop or two of the treatment and the tick falls off.

I tried this yesterday morning when I found a tick on Magnus. It wasn't engorged. After applying 2 drops, I saw the tick squirm a bit. But it didn't fall out. So I took a tweezer and pulled it. Didn't seem to need to force it out. When I looked, it was dead. (I poked at it couple times to check if it'd moved.)

My question is... Would this have caused the tick to get irritated and inject more venom? I've been keeping an eye on M and he seems fine. I'll keep watching him closely. In the meantime, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I've never removed a tick because I haven't had any on my dogs (knock wood). But, it's best to remove with pointy tweezers by grabbing the head. Ticks usually have to be attached for a while to spread disease. Only 30% of deer ticks in my area are vectors for disease. I'm sure that's probably similarly true for other ticks as well. So the fact that you pulled the tick and it might not have been infected is prob enough. Do you use anything like advantix or preventic or seresto? Those three products are instant kill for ticks. If you use frontline or others, there is a slower kill.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!