View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Interesting....and I'm really glad I live in the desert right now since Lepto doesn't really occur here bc it sure sounds like a nasty disease if contracted.

I rather like this site you linked to, btw -- looking around right now at it. We may want this lepto article in the library maybe....?

Thank you. I hope the OP finds the site useful. As with everything, I do not believe that a one size fits all approach is the best approach to anything. I think everyone is correct in stating the known pros AND cons of this vaccine and I think it is the right thing to consider both and then imperative to follow those considerations up with individualized vet advice.

For example, my vets advice was on the basis that I live in England. He confirmed that the chance of contracting Lepto was 1:10,000,000 (due to the vaccinations efficacy in minimizing contraction) and the chance of reaction to the vaccine was 1:10,000,000,000. Based on these odds, he felt it was a good idea to get the vaccination because the disease (if contracted) is very serious. It is up to the individuals thoughts, environment, risk ratio calculation etc to decide on what they think is the best course of action but I firmly believe that vets have the most up to date info re: vaccinations. For example, my vet stated that adverse reactions used to be very common until a few years back when the live antibodies were reduced or altered and reflected in a vaccination brand change. However, this was info from last year and I would not personally be up to date on any gains made in this area as of today.

Medical info and advice is always changing and so I think it is always a good idea to consult those who are in the field as it is part of their job to be on top of dynamic info as it pertains to treatments, preventatives, etc.

Science talk aside, I was worried and now I'm not because Teddy had absolutely no reaction to the vaccine and now has less than a 1:10,000,000 chance of contracting this horrible condition! However, thanks to this site, I did prepare myself with the right vet questions and prep in the event something did happen. As a result of the info on YT, I felt I made an informed decision for my boy and that is very important!
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!