View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
We have lepto here. I don't give the shot to my younger dogs and haven't given it to the older dogs for about 7 years now. The lepto vaccine doesn't cover all the serovars of the disease (strains) and my mostly house dogs are not at a high risk. Unless your dog is going to be in the woods or near stagnant bodies of water or jumps in dirty puddles or wet leaves etc, I'd skip. One of my vets won't give it to toy breeds at all.

We dont have that many cases of Lepto here....and absolutely everything else posted above I agree with, right down to the last sentence. I do not recommend my new owners give the vaccine, and if they do, do the Benadryl shot prior to the vaccine, wait in the vet office for 20 min or so for the shot to take effect, give the vaccine and then hang around the vet waiting room for another half hour to see if the pup is going to have a reaction to it. I had ONE owner that went to her vet, did not follow my suggestions, vet gave the vaccine, owner left the vet, and was barely out of the parking lot and the pup went into anaphylactic shock and died before she could get the car u-turned and parked in the vet lot again! If only she had listened.........
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!