View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
DrPhill
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Looking for some advice: pregnant yorkie on day 64

Hi, all,

Just some quick background before a slew of questions.

My four-year-old yorkie, Chewie (short for Chewbecca, and yes, I am that bad with puns all the time) is on day 64 since the day she and our male locked. She's bigger than usual, but we haven't noticed much but a little movement from the pups in her belly. Yesterday, she had a little bit of a clear discharge, but otherwise, she's not showing that she's approaching the moment.

We have a whelping box for her (she's started to camp out in it, which we think is a good sign), and we set up a few other quiet spaces (a closet full of her toys, a little play-pen/tent looking thing I found on Amazon filled with blankets). We think she's settled on the old-school box, though.

This is our first time breeding with Yorkies, but we have had pups around before (a little of Shih-Tzus several years ago and a littler of basset hounds earlier than that). Chewie isn't showing much, though, and we figured she'd deliver early of day 63, so I'm just a little nervous.

My big question: I know the father needs to be out of the way when she gives birth and for at least several days (maybe longer if he reacts bad) after the pups are delivered, but what should we do with him in the hours leading up to the birth? I took him to the other room for several hours yesterday, and they both tensed up. They seem much more comfortable together, so I'd like to keep him with her as long as possible. I don't want her to be upset while she's getting ready.

Other questions:
I have a route planned for the emergency animal hospital in Cincy just incase anything goes wrong, but other than her showing physical distress, is there anything I should be looking for? She rarely whines, so I'm not sure she'll make noise to prompt me.

When is she officially 'late?'

Would something like calming music help her along? We've been trying to keep the room as normal as usual (Chewie barks any time she notices a change), so that has meant lots and lots of Animal Planet, low light, mild heat.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice. I really appreciate it!

-Phill
DrPhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!