View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. I do get it, the guy was trying to help and I think it's great that he was concerned. But I don't think this new fad of 'breaking windows open' should start happening too often. I see posts all over FB and I'm glad there's awareness but I shouldn't be afraid to leave my dog in the car while I run into the drug store for less than 3 minutes to grab a bottle of water or something. I travel a lot with Jackson, I travel between houses, I'm a pet sitter, and it's not always feasible to bring him back home. If I have 4 let outs for the day and all of them are dogs that he enjoys and gets to walk/play with, I'm not going to leave him home simply because I may have to run into a store quickly to... drop off a prescription, or buy a bottle of water, or something. Jackson would be traumatized for LIFE if someone busted open my window and tried to grab him. I'm not an idiot and I won't leave him in the car at all during most of the summer when it's hot and humid. But there's nothing wrong with cracking the windows open on a 75 degree day and parking in the shade.

This post sums up my thoughts:

Quote:
As the season of "free broken window for anyone who leaves a dog in a car" comes upon us, I wanted to ask that all you animal lovers first use a little common sense. Now! I'm all for helping out animals in need, but what I see so infrequently in this case is the animal actually BEING IN NEED. Before breaking out windows, please consider a few things. 1. Look for what the owner has done for the dog. Do they have fans, are the windows open? Is the AC on? Do they have cooling coats or pads? How about thermometers or solar sheilds? Fresh water? Ventlocks? 2. Look at the actual dog. Is he or she in distress? Excessive panting, fainting, whining, trying to dig out? Or are they happily chillin' out in the car? 3. Have you tried to find the owner? Gone in the shops or tried to contact them in some way? How about law enforcement?

I am all for helping animals in need. And yes, if a dog is sealed in a hot car, is in distress and I can't find the owners? You bet your ass I'm going to try to help. But as someone who takes her dog with her to many many places and has spent well over $200 on products and technologies to keep him cool, will always park in shade, who acclimates her dog to heat and will never leave him out in a car on a hot day for more than 10 minutes, I ask you to first use some common sense.

Educate yourself on the signs of heat exhaustion and distress and how you can safely help an animal experiencing distress. Educate yourself on local laws, too.

Also to consider is what on earth you're going to do with that dog when you break that window. Many dogs are not a fan of strangers and will respond in one of a few ways. 1. They might bite you. 2. If they're fearful, they might run away from you and into traffic. They might also bite you first. In this situation, you have not only doomed the animal from the bite, but possibly also killed it by letting it into traffic. Also know that if the dog was indeed ok and you still smash that window? I as the owner WILL be coming after you legally.

Always always help animals that need it, I am not in any way trying to discourage anyone from helping out an animal in need. Please just be sure to first make sure they do in fact need that help. I appreciate the love and care behind the idea. I dont, however, like the thoughtless way I've seen that care gone after. Dog lovers, please share, and remember to take care of your pups on hot days!

Edited to add, since I've gotten tons of feedback on this post!

Everyone saying "just leave the dog at home!!!" Sure, yes absolutely! If the dog doesn't need to come, leave them safely at home! But those screeching this also need to realize is that many people travel out of town or state with their pets, be it for family, dog shows or sports, vacation or otherwise. Sometimes leaving a dog in a hotel, with a family member, or in a hotel isn't feasible. One specific case I know of is one I've experienced personally. My dog, despite much training and even great management, does not like other dogs, period. When he does need to go to the vet, albeit not often, he will wait in the car until there is a room ready instead of in the waiting room with other dogs. This way, no bad interactions are had and everyone is safe.
Re: state laws: only 16 states have laws specifically prohibiting dogs in cars. I echo again, please read up on your local legislation.

Again, I'm all for helping an animal truly in need, 110% I am. Just use some smarts first.

Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!