View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessYorkies View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm new to YorkieTalk and I'm excited to have found this forum.
I've owned Yorkies for about 7 years and through membership in the local kennel club and participation in putting their annual dog show together, I became interested in showing.
During the time I was there, they did not have anyone who could mentor me about Yorkies.
I reached out to the closest Yorkie club too, but the club itself is about an hour away and they don't have any mentors in my area- or actually, they seemed stand-offish about me asking about mentors.
Is there some unspoken rule I'm not aware of?

Is it possible to have a good long distance mentorship if I found someone interested who's not nearby?

I really want to do this the right way. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

No not an unspoken rule. But have you actually been at AKC shows to watch to learn - to talk with the breeders there?

Your local breed club - is still or should be a good source to go by. Even if they don't have Yorkie breeders - if they have any toy breeders that are showing in AKC you can develop relationships with them, go to shows with them - and get introduced to Yorkie breeders at the show.

You see you need to get known by these folks. An hour away for a Yorkie Club is not so bad - that is if you have a car to get there with. I have driven farther and much more frequently to do training. to take workshops, to see my breeders frequently.

Start saving your $$ to go to the nearest Yorkie Specialty. Go to www.ytca.org to see their up-coming specialties.

And in the meantime, study study study. Take workshops - especially go to workshops on breeding, structure, gaiting, showing and better still if there are workshops you can attend in person..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!