View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I've talked with a few great breeders and I believe they are always looking for someone to mentor, but from their perspective, they have to know you are breeding for the right reasons. They want someone who really has high ethical standards and will never do anything, that could hurt the breed, such as breeding for a popular trait. They have to put a lot of time into training you and it's disappointing when they find someone who isn't willing to go all the way, in other words, show the dog before any breeding is done, or careful selective breeding when choosing a mate. Some newbie breeders believe any dog who has a championship would be suitable, but it takes knowledge of specific characteristics and whether those characteristic are dominant or recessive to evaluative the suitableness of a partner. Basically, you have to leave your ego behind and be willing to learn and help this person in her program. In other words, you would be like an unpaid apprentice, helping her, and learning everything you can in the meantime.

Beware of those breeders who say they will mentor you, but really only want to sell you a breeding dog, because for many unethical breeders that's what they mean by mentor. I wouldn't talk with anyone who didn't insist upon my showing the dog before I bred it. Personally, I think some are standoffish, because they have been burnt.

Join today and remove this ad!