View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #15
oneofakind864
Senior Yorkie Talker

My First girl Chanel was 4 pounds and she slept with us pretty much every night. She also napped periodically in her bed beside ours during the day. Our New Baby, Roxie, has only been with 5 weeks( Currently 1lb 12oz at 17 weeks) and at our new place, because the house is so cold at night ( Gets into the low 50's sometimes) We decided it would be safer to have her with us. She "Needs" to be covered up- but she tends to fall asleep on top of her blankets and will then just shiver until one of us covers her up( Day or night).I never saw a dog who didn't know how to burrow under covers- but she apparently doesn't. If she is with us we can make sure she is nice and cozy. But to get her accustomed to being in bed with us, we placed a folded blanket as a little mini mattress in between our pillows and she sleeps there- covered up with a little baby blanket. If one of us feels her moving- its usually because she needs to "Go" and we..um..actually "I"- get up and take her. She is sleeping through the night now ( 8 hours) but I still don't trust her not to fall off the bed if we allow her to wander during the night- so she will stay between the pillows until she is old enough to know better. She also hasn't learned fear of heights yet and launched herself off the bed a few days ago when I jumped up for a second to answer the phone. I caught her in mid air after almost having a heart attack when I turned around and saw her flying through the air legs outstretched like gravity didn't exist! She looked like a flying squirrel! But it taught me that she is MUCH faster than I gave her credit for..and I am much slower that I thought I was. Thank GOD she was flying towards me and I got in a lucky grab and caught her.

By the way Chanel fell off the bed 2 times during her life. The first time was before she had a bed next to us and she woke me up whimpering cuz she was cold! LOL. The next time, after we had put her bed in our room, we just woke up and she was snuggled in her bed next to us. But she made sure she never fell again and she would get right up next to me with her head in the crook of my shoulder to make darn sure she didn't end up on the floor again. Until Roxie has that kind of sense ( Prolly a year or 2) She'll stay in her perch between our pillows. When the weather warms up and it doesn't get so cold in our room at night- I'll experiment with putting her in her crate next to us and see how she does. It is very convenient to have them comfortable with either option.

We did try a ramp with Chanel-but Chanel never used it...I need to get it out and see if Roxie does any better. But one of my friends dogs just seriously hurt herself falling off the ramp- so that makes me nervous too. I think I am more comfortable just making sure she stays put until I put her down.

Hopefully you have a king size bed( rueful grins) Not sure it this would work with 2 adults in a smaller bed.

But that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Last edited by oneofakind864; 05-12-2015 at 08:27 AM.
oneofakind864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!