View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Default Eddie got his Nosework 2 title today!

OK, even I'm feeling like this is a shameless brag, but if you can't do that on YorkieTalk where people love their Yorkies as much as I do mine, where can you do it?

Eddie got his Nosework 2 title today, something I thought was pretty much impossible for a short-nosed toy breed at one time. He had to search a largish exterior setting and find two hidden odors, which were Q-tips exposed to either birch or anise. Then he had to search 4 vehicles and find one of the odors on one. In the afternoon, he had to search a room with about 20 containers -- everything from a paint can with a muffin in to suitcases with toys in them and even a cooler -- and find 2 with odor. Lastly, he had to search 2 different interiors and find 1 hidden odor in each of them. And he had 3 minutes to complete each task.

Well, he found all 7 hides -- the longest of his searches taking just 1 minute, 48 seconds for 2 -- and he was one of 14 dogs today to title out of the 30 or so of multiple breeds that competed.

In doing so, he became the third Yorkie in the country to get an NW2 title. To put it in perspective, here are the top 6 AKC breeds followed by their nosework statistics.

Top 6 Most Popular Breeds in the U.S. as ranked by American Kennel Club in 2014
1. Labrador Retriever
2. German Shepherd
3. Golden Retriever
4. Bulldog
5. Beagle
6. Yorkshire Terrier

Number of Nosework 1 and 2 Titles by those breeds

Labrador Retriever
NW1: 283
NW2: 142

German Shepherd
NW1: 268
NW2: 111

Golden Retriever
NW1: 196
NW2: 86

Bulldog
NW1: 3
NW2: 2

Yorkshire Terrier
NW1: 8
NW2: 3

Next goal for Eddie: NW3, with only 1 Yorkie in the country having achieved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eddieribbon.jpg (95.9 KB, 44 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!